No Graduate Should Commit This Blunder

I decided to write this article in order to correct a wrong sentence some of us always uttered. Sometimes we don't know that this is not correct but we must verify our grammar before we use them in public. 

The sentence 'I am having two pencils' is absolutely incorrect as far as English grammar is concerned. 

The verb 'having' is the core of the sentence that states a condition rather that expressing action. In other words, 'having' (possession) is a stative verb that can never take 'ing' in the context of possession. For example:

1. I am having two birds in my hands.

2. I am having three cars in my garage.

3. I am having one pencil in my bag.

All of these sentences are not correct. The reason is because the verb 'have' when used as a possession cannot not take 'ing' to mark continuous tense. It is a stative verb and stative verbs explains condition not action like: 

1. I am running (action not condition).

2.I am eating (action not condition).

The correct statement should be:

* I have two pencils in my bag.

*I have two cars in my garage.

Thanks for reading.


* I have 3 birds in my hands.


Please, whenever you want to talk about what you have or own don't use 'having' as demonstrated above.


Thanks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brain At Birth

Not Every Journey Is About Finding Love, Sometimes It’s About Finding Yourself

The Silent Nation