Stop saying "I want to buy pure water" it is not correct

Stop saying "I want to buy pure water" it is not correct


It has become a cliche to say I want to buy pure water. Firstly, what do Nigerians mean by saying "pure water"? Let us explain this below.

There are different types of water according to how they are packaged. Consumable water are either bottle water or sachet water. There may be other forms of packaging commercial water, but these are the two common ways.

Every commercial water has undergone different treatments. In this sense, we can say such water are pure. It is grammatically wrong to call water packaged inside nylons  pure water, especially when you mean different thing.

Like I said, it has become a cliche (in Nigeria) to say "I want to buy pure water". In terms of grammar, this sentence is erroneous. It is tautology. We should say "sachet of water" not "pure water".

Example:

1. I want to buy a sachet of water.(correct)

2. I want to buy a pure water. (Wrong)

3. I want to buy a sachet of pure water (wrong).

4. I want to buy a bottle of water. (Correct).

5. I want to buy a bottle of pure water. (Wrong)

H

to improve this article by commenting below

Comments

  1. πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brain At Birth

Not Every Journey Is About Finding Love, Sometimes It’s About Finding Yourself

The Silent Nation